Wacousta & Watertown Township History
- Township date of Organization: March 20, 1837
- Recognized as a Charter Township: December 8, 1966
The following historical information is from an August 30, 1942 article in the Lansing State Journal:
"Wacousta, an unincorporated village, was started in 1837 prior to the settlement of the northern part of lower Michigan. It is 11 miles northwest of Lansing and is on the four corners of Sections 7, 8, 17 and 18 of Watertown Township, Clinton County. The Looking Glass River skirts the southern edge of the village.
Those who founded the village intended to name it “Waterloo” and actually submitted that name to the Post Office department for ratification, but it was learned that a town of that name already existed in Michigan and thus another one would have to be chosen.
The “Waterloo Joint Stock Company” was organized in July of 1837. They purchased a tract of land on the Looking Glass River and proceeded to plan the town of Wacousta. Twelve thousand dollars was spent for improvements. This company traded hands many times. In 1848, Waterloo was ended and Wacousta began. This unincorporated village is governed by the township now."
Recollections of early township resident, Cornelia Hazard: